Yes, it’s possible to control your TV with an Alexa, with the help of your Amazon Echo smart speaker. If you have an Amazon Fire TV stick, Fire TV, or an Amazon Fire TV edition, you can start controlling its actions using your Amazon Alexa. Read this blog and follow the steps given below to start controlling your TV via your Alexa:
- Switch on your TV, and then change the input to the Fire TV or Fire TV stick. You will then get to see the Fire TV home screen on the TV.
- Press and hold the microphone button that came with your Fire TV device
Note: The first-generation Fire TV is not featured with this button, so you will have to use an Alexa-enabled device.
- Now a blue line will start appearing at the top of your TV.
- You will then need to speak your request.
Note: Make sure that you don’t have to say “Alexa” before you make the request when using the remote control.
How To Control Your Satellite Or Cable TV Via Alexa?
If you have an Amazon Echo or any other Alexa-enabled device, you can then start controlling Optic Hub, Fios, Tivo, Frontier, and Dish systems via Alexa using your voice. To do so, you will need to connect your Alexa device to the cable box.
- Launch the Alexa app on your tablet or smartphone.
- Select the Music, Video and Books option. Do it from the left-hand menu.
- Now you can select your cable provider or your Fire TV from the list that appears.
- In several cases, you will have to turn on the Alexa skill from your satellite provider or cable. To do so in the Alexa app, follow the steps given below:
- You will need to select the Manage and Links Devices. (We have taken the example of Dish TV in this case. Thus, your satellite or cable connection may be different.)
- Here you need to choose the satellite or cable box you want to control and tap on the Continue button.
- Now you just have to select the Alexa device you want your TV to be controlled by.
Note: A particular Alexa device will only control only a single TV at a time, so that’s why you need to make sure that the device is in the same room as the TV.
- When you are done selecting your Alexa device, you will need to little scroll down to the bottom, and then tap on the Link Devices button. Doing so will now make you able control your TV via Alexa.
- Now, you are able to search for any of the programs by their name, actor, genre, and more. For example, you can start asking for movies with Johnny Depp, and your Fire TV is going to bring up a list of movies he’s starred in.
Thanks for reading my blog. I hope this blog will be helpful to you.
Olivia Jones is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at www.norton.com/setup.